Common indications for Gamma Knife®
Gamma Knife offers hope to patients with tumors formerly considered inoperable and those considered high-risk for open surgical procedures due to illness, advanced age or other medical conditions. Patients may be eligible for Gamma Knife even if they previously had open brain surgery, radiation or chemotherapy, or embolization for arteriovenous malformations (AVMs).
Patients are frequently referred for the following conditions:
- Metastatic tumors within the head originating from a primary site elsewhere in the body
- Malignant or benign tumors originating within the brain or its coverings, including gliomas, meningiomas, pituitary and pineal tumors, acoustic neuromas, and others
- AVMs and other vascular disorders of the brain
- Trigeminal neuralgia when conservative treatment fails
- Movement disorders such as essential tremor in patients who are not candidates for deep brain stimulation (DBS)